Flash Tales #25: The Wreck

Kyrko_mosse_wreck_3

Hello, Flash Tales fans! This week we’ll be featuring a prompt from faithful contributor Rose Green. If you have a prompt of your own you’d like to suggest, let us know in a comment!

PROMPT: Write a story about a “wreck,” whatever that word means to you. It could be a ship, a house, a person, whatever you like.

GENRE: Open

WORD COUNT: <1,100 words

DEADLINE: 11:59pm, Thursday, June 18, 2015

About Evan Henry (257 Articles)
Evan Henry is a graduate student in English at the University of Virginia, where he works on the legacy of eugenics and scientific racism in American pop culture. As Head of Publishing for Black Ship Books he seeks to further social analysis of popular culture and develop new and unique voices in both creative and critical writing. His credits include Broken Frontier, the Virginia Literary Review, and numerous small publishers of fantasy and science fiction. His short story collection The Great City will be released this summer.
Contact: Twitter

13 Comments on Flash Tales #25: The Wreck

1. So, I’ve never submitted anything for public consumption, but I figured I would give this a try. Apologies if this sucks… 🙂

• Rose Green // June 17, 2015 at 6:18 am // Reply

Really good, solid story. Well done! Hope to see more from you in the future.

• Rem Fields Rem Fields // June 17, 2015 at 7:25 pm // Reply

No apologies necessary — this was a good read : )

You very much captured the pulpy noirness of detective fiction. Thanks for the story!

• Evan Henry // June 25, 2015 at 5:07 pm // Reply

Very nice! Pulp-y and bloody. I like it. Very well-written too; your prose has a nice rhythm. Seems a lot like an excerpt from a larger story too, which is always a tantalizing thing to do with flash fiction. I’d love to see more! Thanks for writing.

• Rem Fields Rem Fields // June 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm // Reply

Excellent characterization, Rose. The entire interaction read very… naturally? Not sure if that’s the most-complimentary way to phrase it, but I mean it as such!

• I enjoyed your story Rose! 🙂

2. Rem Fields Rem Fields // June 17, 2015 at 7:15 pm // Reply

I figured it may be fun to offer a look at writing for a visual, collaborative medium.

Comic books were calling to me this week, so much so I scripted out a 5-page intro to a story I’ve got in the works. Found the right artist too! Illustrations available soonish for those interested : )

• I liked it! If I can offer one correction? Page 4 Panel 4.. feint – is to fake a movement. I think you meant faint? I have never read a comic outline before. It is pretty cool. 🙂

• Rem Fields Rem Fields // June 18, 2015 at 12:10 pm // Reply

Thanks! Caught your message just as I was fixing another mistake — missed deleting a sentence fragment on page 3, panel 5. Both are corrected now.

• Rose Green // June 23, 2015 at 1:20 pm // Reply

Very interesting read. Liked the repetition of finding the seed twice. Hope to see the final version!

• Evan Henry // June 26, 2015 at 9:07 pm // Reply

Damn cool story, Rem! Intriguing, too. I’d love to read the story this is a prologue to. Keep me posted on it.