Ambrosia #1 — Kickstart Your Hunger

ks banner

There are 203 live comics projects currently on Kickstarter, each an attempt at catching lightning in the bottle. I’ve been watching the site for a while now. Mostly lurking, occasionally backing. Last year’s Kickstarter Strobe Light series featured some of my favorite crowdfunded comics, titles I promoted for no other reason than I believed they had a good story to tell.

oliToday I want to share another campaign — my own! Yesterday I launched a Kickstarter for Ambrosia #1, a sci-fi comic book about a food smuggler in a future where food is illegal and eating is obsolete. It is a collaboration that stems from a lifelong friendship between myself and the series’ illustrator, Noah Graham. He and I grew up together, since preschool, surrounding ourselves with back issues of Wizard, battling it out in our action-figure fight club.

Two decades later we reconnected over an idea that began with a nebulous discussion about a “ronin chef.” The character who would become Oliver Benjamin, Ambrosia‘s protagonist, hatched from the desire to craft a sci-fi swashbuckler presented as a folk hero. Oli is our spacefaring Zorro, our far-future Robin Hood. Ambrosia is his saga.

Ambrosia #1 on Kickstarter

Just over 24 hours into our campaign, we are off to a humble yet encouraging start — 15% of our goal has been met. I know all too well that the remaining 85% isn’t going to just fall out of the sky. We have 28 days left to prove Ambrosia is a story worth telling, 672 hours to introduce readers to Oliver Benjamin and his cause.

Our first issue follows Oli as he is pursued by the authorities, sending him on a blistering chase throughout the orbital city of Olympus. Ambrosia, as a series, chronicles the insurgency that boils over as Oliver’s exploits awaken a subdued populace. A floppy copy of Ambrosia #1 starts at $10, with the digital download costing $5.

Sharing the word is as critical as backing is as we strive to meet Ambrosia #1’s funding goal. Any feedback, signal boosting (we’re @POVComics), or pledging would be very much appreciated. Expect a detailed write-up on the whole Kickstarter process, pass or fail, after the campaign concludes!




Rem Fields
About Rem Fields (25 Articles)
Rem Fields (Managing Editor) aims to tell stories. As an IT professional he should be writing code or administrating systems, yet the only scripting that seems to get done is for his comic books. In between bouts of worldbuilding Rem fights the good fight as a freelance author operating out of St. Petersburg, Florida. His interests range from ukuleles to cryptocurrencies, though really he just can’t fall asleep until reminding his word processor who’s in charge.

Follow along at as he tries to bring his own brand of storytelling to the interwebs.

Leave a Reply